While manuscripts and scrolls have been unearthed in three different locations near the Dead Sea, the name Dead Sea Scrolls usually refers to the more than 400 scrolls discovered since 1947 in caves at Qumran, on the northwest shores of the sea. About 100 of the scrolls are Biblical, containing all the OT books except Esther. They apparently formed part of an ancient library of a community that flourished at Qumran between 100 b.c. and a.d. 68.
One far-reaching result of the study of the scrolls is the general correspondence of their Hebrew text with the Masoretic text, thus witnessing to the integrity of that text as a faithful representation of the ancient text.
Cairns, A. (2002). In Dictionary of Theological Terms (p. 123). Belfast; Greenville, SC: Ambassador Emerald International.
Return to Index of Concepts and Definitions